Understanding Medicinal Plants: Their Chemistry and Therapeutic Action
Prof. Bryan Hanson
Instructor's Resource Page
Understanding Medicinal Plants is designed to help people understand how medicinal plants exert their effects on the human body. It was written for the scientifically curious, and aims for a middle ground between a technical work and and an overly simplified book for lay audiences. I would love to have your feedback (please e-mail me) on any aspect of the book, suggestions, or how you have used it in your classes.
Wondering about me? Download my CV here or follow the contact link above.
Please follow the links above for some recommended resources on medicinal plants.
- For books related to medicinal plant topics, follow the bibliography link.
- For recommended internet sites on medicinal plants, click on links.
- Movies dealing with medicinal plant themes:
- Medicine Man
- At Play in the Fields of the Lord
- Lorenzo's Oil
- See also the listing of movies on shamanism in Chapter 7
Interlude: At this point in my Medicinal Plants for Poets course I take a break to discuss the linkages between culture and medicine. Click here to download a list of readings we cover during this period.
Additional books that might be of use
- Peter Akins Atkins' Molecules 2nd edition Cambridge University Press 2003.
The background on this page is a 19th century woodcut of Phytolacca americana.
Last updated Thursday, September 1, 2011 . Contents & layout copyright 2011 Prof. Bryan Hanson